Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SAFE - Edge release of slab still induces moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDM

Structural
Aug 10, 2021
CA
I am trying to model a slab supported by interior columns and drop panels, and a concrete wall on the exterior. The intent is to release any moment on the wall and only rely on the transfer for shear, but releasing the slab via Assign>Shell>Edge release doesn't appear to release it at the wall since my moment diagrams still transfer the same amount of moment as running it before releasing it, but with the added bonus of being unstable and throwing warnings at me left and right.

I can't find anything in the documentation on connections to walls, and I've tried looking at thread802-482373 but I can't find anything in that thread that helps.

Anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure specifically about the edge release issue - but could you set the out of plane bending stiffness of the wall to 0 (or something low) to simulate this effect, if you believe that will model your connection appropriately?

Luceid said:
but could you set the out of plane bending stiffness of the wall to 0 (or something low) to simulate this effect

Of the wall or of the slab? I still want to get the positive moment and negative moment over drop panels, just not at the wall. I've got my strips modeled and I'm just trying to get an idea of if the slab works under pinned edge condition assumptions due to contractor request.

Of the wall. If your wall has no out of plane bending stiffness - then it can't support any moment - creating a pinned connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back