Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Safe retract in NX CAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davavanstone

Automotive
Jun 1, 2015
GB
Hi there, I'm currently trying to retract a tool out of a port on a cylinder head, in the past I have created a path with studio spline inside of the cutting tool path, and then created another operation using the curve as a retract path. It works but is very time consuming, not very safe and if i change my tool path (port shape) I have to redraw the retract curve to suit, especially if my tool can reach further in a new operation. I am using MCS Mill without a workpiece specified as for some reason I get very very slow toolpath generations if i do and the tool path is incredible sporadic and unreliable?
By the way, I'm using NX11

retract_kq0ykb.png

Thank you in advance for the help.

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply,
I have not seen tube_finish? I'm currently using variable contour (4 axis machine) with tool axis toward line and surface area drive method. Going by the name, tube finish sounds ideal for the job, could you point me in the right direction in using it?

Regards

Dave

EDIT

Mark, I have just seen your post on another forum about the tube finish operation, looks absolutely perfect, my only issue is that, as said, the machine is only 4 axis, I have successfully programmed a cylinder head in NX previously using variable contour, but it was incredibly time consuming. Basically the question being, can it be "forced" to use 4 axis only? There is no huge divergence on the ports so to tooling used can undercut and be functional for the job. Or if tube finish cannot be used, what would you recommend I use instead or point me in the right direction? Internal helical porting is something I'm unsure of when using NX cam, I got it to work, but it wasn't ideal. Interpolate axis maybe?
Sorry for all the questions :)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back