Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SAFE slow analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luceid

Structural
Feb 16, 2023
US
I've got a larger model which uses nonlinear cracking load cases to analyse long term deflection. As a result, these load cases run really slow (as expected).

The problem I have is related to the order of the analysis process. Based on my last post in this forum, my understanding is that SAFE does the following:

1. Run analysis on all load cases
2. Design the slab rebar based on design load combinations
3. Rerun analysis using the designed rebar to calculate cracked section properties for nonlinear cracking analysis cases
4. Recheck design load combinations to redesign rebar if necessary

This order essentially means the nonlinear cases are run twice, which isn't necessary since they aren't being used as design combinations. The first nonlinear analysis run is essentially meaningless because until the rebar is designed, there isn't any real data for SAFE to analyse that I care about. This makes the model effectively take twice as long to run for no reason as far as I can tell.

Is there any way to tell SAFE to skip certain load cases in Step 1 until after the first design (Step 2) has been completed, since they aren't used in design, and come back to them in Step 3 when the results are meaningful?

I feel like if a load case is not explicitly used in design load combinations - the program should be smart enough to do this anyways, but oh well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In case anyone was curious - there is not a way to do this automatically per CSI's comment. You can set the Nonlinear cases to "Do Not Run" for the first pass, and then manually turn them back on to rerun after the design is complete, but you'll have to do this every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back