Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safety accesory for eletric range

Status
Not open for further replies.

katwalatapan

Electrical
Aug 9, 2011
CA
Hello,

I wanted to inquire concerning any potential maintenance issues arising out of using a safety accessory on coil burners of an electric range.

I am considering to use a safety accessory which disconnects the power supply to the coil burner if the temperature goes above 350C/662F and once the coil burner cools to below 350C/662F the product would turn the cycle back on.

My concerns are about the high frequency of turn on/off cycles that the range would have to go through which may affect the electrical contact life. Also do electric range have a fixed upper limit temperature of burner coils, because the high setting would mean max. current is allowed to pass through the coil, correct?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why is this necessarily?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

The safety product is advertised to help in reducing fires caused due to overheating of the coil elements by disconnecting the power to coil elements if the temperature goes over 350C/662F and provide power to the coils once the temperature is lower than 350C/662F. So I wanted to inquire if by doing so, wouldn't it induce maintenance issues with electrical contacts in the range and if the high setting in the range coil element controller had a correlation with temperature.

The contacts would be inside this product, would it not? and not inside the range, per se? I assume you're referring to something like: ?

According to most sites, the high setting results in a substantially higher temperature, ala >1100°F.

It's not something I'd want on my stove, since there are lots of dishes that require the higher temperatures.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back