Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safety Decal Placement or Location 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

iemo

Industrial
Dec 21, 2006
US
I am designing safety decals, and providing drawings for where the decals are located. The problem I have has to do with determining the placement of the decal. I have not been able to locate a standard for large minig equipment safety decal placement. I tried AEM.org for info...no luck.
Any one have experience with placement of safety decal. Rule of thumb, standards, etc.?
-Mo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Best rule is to place them near where the operator will be working while the machine is in operation or where others will be when working on the machine. You will also want to make sure they are in a conspicuous location and not hidden. Keep the language simple and easy to understand (not everyone is an engineer) but be specific. Also keep the colors of the decals in something that contrasts against the background color of the equipment or what the equipment will look like in the field.

The decal's message would have the greatest bearing on its location.

If it's a localized threat, then it should be the first and prominent thing that a potential victim would see.

Warnings to the operator should be placed in close proximity to the controls that they address, etc.

There are various military specifications handbooks that address general guidelines:
MIL-STD-1472
MIL-HDBK-759
MIL-HDBK-46855

TTFN

FAQ731-376

A few more links...
ANSI Z535.4 Product Safety Signs and Safety Labels
ANSI Z535.2 Environmental and Facility Safety Signs
ISO 3864 Safety Signs and Colours
SEMI S1 Equipment Safety Labels
ISO 7000 and IEC 60417 graphical symbol standards.
Applicable OSHA standards also dictate label information/colors/placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back