Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safety practices for site visits on WWTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinLe

Civil/Environmental
Oct 12, 2012
DE
My new job has me visitng WWTP every now and then usually when some refurbishments happen, usually involving gas engines.
So far I've seen no systematic safety training or similar, or even just material.

The very basics are of course: traffic, machines that start on their own, don't run, careful around ladders etc, watch were to step, don't hang around under cranes, don't smoke in ex-zones, don't touch sewage, wash hands after visit, only enter cellars or shafts when they are activly ventilated, talk to staff before visit, know about works beeing carried out during visit ...

What I'm unsure of: In practice, do I treat my cell phone as an ignition source? Or a digital camera? Has anyone heard of actual accidents where these were a factor?

But what am I missing? What additional thing should I be aware of?

And what to do to ingrain these practices?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Each site should have a safety practices manual. At the beginning of each day, you should have a safety meeting to review what is planned for the day. Each work practice should have a written procedure. There should be an safety orientation anytime a new person comes on site.

If you work with digesters, you should not have any ignition source within the classified area. Yes, the phone and camera are ignition sources.

Ask to see the safety manual. Or bring the OSHA inspector along. Seems like they are fairly lax on safety. you don't mention the gas detectors , hard hats, fall protection, lockout/tagout seals, safety vests and or safety shoes.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Thanks so far. I'll hunt down safety manuals from the plants and hound my employer about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back