Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SAFETY SHOWERS 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

EHSeng

Civil/Environmental
Sep 2, 2008
US
hi guys. i am looking to solve a confusion in my mind. i have been asked to provide the safety codes on the emergency shower installation. i have collected very good info on it but just want to clear one thing that the passage to shower should be free of obstructions, does these obstruction count doors also. because our engineers want to install it within 10 sec reach but there are two doors in the way. i just orderd ANSI AZ358.1 -2004 standard, i know i can get my answer from the standard but if anyone have already read it and let me know the answer, i need to clear it urgent. thankx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ANSI Z358.1 was withdrawn, replaced by ISEA Z358.1. I don't have access to ISEA standards. Check 29 CFR 1910 standards. I found a specification on the web that indicates the following: "If the hazard is a corrosive there can be no obstruction between the unit and working area. If the hazard is non-corrosive one intervening door can be present as long as it opens in the same direction of travel as the person attempting to reach emergency equipment."

The best way I can have you figure out what to do is this: Go to the area where you have your hazards, and tie a blind fold around your eyes and try to find the eye wash station. I know it is a little silly, but if you get caustic or some other nasty chemical, you aren't going to be able to see much, if at all. Now imagine trying to find your way through a door while your eyes are burning like crazy and you can't see. What if no one is around to help you should this happen, would you make it to your eye wash stations?

Nice Real and Practical elaboration indeed;safetydan you deserve a star.

Here I add a little gravity into it that it at times proves killing and

May render one permanently blind the affected person with caustic or spent caustic entering into his/her eyes

and immediate washing with cold clean rinsing water source is delayed.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back