Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safety Switch Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

TISM

Chemical
Jun 21, 2003
My application involves measuring the temperature in a furnace. I need to provide a hardwired High temperature safety switch which I was going to activate via a 4-20mA signal from a close coupled "puck" type transmitter wired to the K-Type. I also want to provide operators with an indication of this temperature via their SCADA. Is it OK to loop the 4-20mA signal from the transmitter through a PLC AI card as well as the high integrity switch? It would seem to be OK as the switch is fail safe in case of signal loss but I am not sure whether a frozen PLC would corrupt the signal to the switch. While a separate temperature element would appear to be the logical solution, access to the furnace is very limited.
I look forward to comments from those with more experience than me, and if you can cite a standard or accepted text regarding this point that would be even better.

Thanks you in advance

TISM [rockband]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back