Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

safety valve vent silencer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

morojlu

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2004
IR
Hello Dears,

I Have some questions about Vent Silencers for Saefty Valves:

1. What is the meaning of octave band spectrum?

2. What do PWL and DIL stand for?

3. It is requested to explain me that how I can determine the size of vent pipe (briefly guidance)

Your response would be highly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. An Octave Band split the audible spectrum into smaller bands, identifying the frequency content of the noise.

2. DIL = Dynamic Insertion Loss
(difference of two Sound Power Levels)
e.g.
the unsilenced noise level of a valve is 150dB(A)
the silenced noise level (at the silencer) is 120dB(A)
DIL = 30 dB

less velocity means less noise.
As a rule of thumb you should keep the velocity (down stream of valves)below 100 m/s

for further information you should download a copy of "Glaunach's Silencer Hand Book" at

AxG

Did anyone else's initial thoughts on this post go like this - if the safety valve goes off so frequently that a silencer comes to mind, the process, equipment, and controls need to be examined and modified to prevent the release?

Those were my initial thoughts. I swallowed the urge to respond as such when it first posted thinking I might learn something. I did, but not so that it convinced me that adding a silence to a PSV's discharge is the right choice.

Thoughts? Mine are, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", and "treating the symptoms" is the last resort!

Good luck,
Latexman

Latexman,

My thoughts exactly.
I can see and understand a silencer on a process letdown or vent valve on say a batch process that vents steam.

I don't care about using a PSV to control the process pressure to the point of needing a silencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back