Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safety Valve vent stack sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chogben

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2002
CA
Greetings,

Does anybody have recommendations on techniques for sizing vent stacks on PSV discharge stacks; open or closed. I am familiar with the techniques of Benjamin, Liao, B31.1, and Miller of the BHRA.

Has anybody experience blowback on vents sized with any of the above techniques?

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The B31.1 and section VIII methods are based on Bechtel's Liao. To extend the B31.1 curves to longer stacks with more losses, you need to use the compressible flow equations in the original Laio paper. The Benjamin method is not conservative and cannot be relied on to prevent blowback, but it gives a cheaper /smaller stack size.

SooCS
I have not read API RP 521. My employer doesn't deal with API specifications often so they are not kept up to date.

davefitz
Do you know why the B31.1 App II did not include the min. back pressure correlation that Liao has? Perhaps it was covered in the B31.1 equation for the chocking pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back