Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Salary Survey - How much do you make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2005
US
I'm interested in how much you make. Please share your experience and salary.

Just to get things started, I have a BS in chemical engineering, three years experience and I make 70K

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow, you are not doing too bad!!
I have a BS in an engineering technology (working as a structural engineer). I have 1 yr experience and make a little under 55k - I'd prefer not to give out exact numbers.

Not sure what this has to do with 'improving myself and getting ahead in my work'. There are several websites from which to garner this information.

That aside, your 'poll' will be skewed by not taking into account parameters such as location, company sizes, and the fact that some respondees may not give accurate answers.

--
Erik
MO P.E.

Take a look around this site, including some other forums.

This type of question, or similar comes up every now and then.

There was one a while back on % pay raises.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

BS in Civil Engineering, 1993. I am paid 75/hr and 112.50/hr after forty hours per week. 25/hr is split out of my pay for per diem, (unreported and untaxed). HOORAY for contract employees and job shops!

FiltrationEngineer,
Let me just add that I am a Chemical Engineer, and I worked R&D in the filtration industry for 3 years myself. Came out with 6 patent application, and I barely cracked 50k when I left. I left there for 60k, and now I'm off to a new one for 75k + bonuses... that's five years running in one of the most expensive states in the US. You are doing VERY well. Consider yourself among the privileged. Are you in a technical sales or applications engineering role?

Aaron A. Spearin
ASQ CSSBB
Engineering Six-S'$

"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

Structural Engineer
37 years experience
Structural license in 4 West Coast states
85k per year
I could make more but I like my 5 minute commute

FiltrationEngineer - with a BS in Chemical and 3 years experience, I'm surprised your salary is that low. New grad Mechanicals in Houston are pulling in north of $60K

Edward L. Klein
Pipe Stress Engineer
Houston, Texas

"All the world is a Spring"

All opinions expressed here are my own and not my company's.

Ok, lots of questions, here are my answers:

I understand there is no way to verify truthfulness of responses and that everything depends on everything else, location, industry, etc. Also, this has to do with getting ahead in your work, because compensation is a pretty good indicator of how succesful you are. Cross referencing your compensation with others is usefull in my opinion, hence the post.

I started for 37k out of school, but that was in dec 2003 when there were lots of guys with more experience out of work. Also, I went to a state school and got decent grades.

After 6 months, they raised me to 40k despite promises of more money. I left my first job after 14 months employment for a 50k salary. I was raised to 55 after a year, then to 60k after another year. I recently took a new job for 70k.

I worked in south florida for my last employer where cost of living is high. I now work in central texas where cost of living is a lot lower. I work in the municiple wastewater industry doing applications, technical sales, and design work.

It is interesting that some people said I'm doing well and others said I should be making more. I think that depends on industry and specific position and skill set. In what I consider 'real' engineering industries like aerospace, chemical plants, and stuff like that I think salaries are higher. For my line of work I think I'm doing ok, and I'm happy to make as much as I do.

I work 40 hours per week or sometimes less and have excellent benefits. I consider that a major benefit.

Thanks for your replies. I like this forum because it has a pretty good cross section of engineers from different industries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back