Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salt quality for softening system??

Status
Not open for further replies.

arguellesmanuel

Chemical
Mar 17, 2007
VE
Good day, I know the reason why I can not use in my system Softening industrial salt with iodine and fluoride?

Currently it is difficult to get into this salt market and in my store there is only edible salt with iodine and fluorine.

I have two days softening salt for human consumption.

thanks.

Manuel Arguelles
Pharmaceutical Plant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Only use water softener salt because water softener salt should contain no substances such as iodine or fluoride, i.e. as few foreign substances (ions) as possible, that may impair the regeneration process.

The concentrations of fluoride in food grade salt used around the world range from 90 ppm to 350 ppm. Concentration of fluoride in European salts is approximately 250 ppm. The concentrations of iodine in food grade salt is approximately 30 ppm. Food grade salt also contains 1% Sodium Silicoaluminate and sodium ferrocyanide as anticaking agents.

The fluoride and iodine will probably not have any affect on the water softener. However the anticaking agents in food grade salt may foul the water softener resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back