Salt Water Pumping

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificSteve

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2001
US
OK experts, here is a challenging one.

I need to pump 1200GPM at 20 TDH saltwater at 70F, on a continuous basis.

I am leaning towards a 316SS or Fiberglass type pump (at least until I hear from the pros).

Main question -- can anyone hone me in a mnaufacturer that is likely to make a suitable pump with good efficiency (say 78% or better) in the expected range.

Pump has to lift 2 to 4 feet depending on tide. Source is a salt water well, so water is pretty clear. I don't want to use any checkvalves, and it does run continiously, so once primed, it should be good to go.

Thanks to y'all, from Hawaii, PacificSteve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been working on an offshore project involving pumping see water for cooling.

Pumps considered were Sulzer from Switzerland, Hayward Tyler from the Uk and TKL from Australia.

I am sure the majors such as Flowserve or Goulds would have a unit to suit the application.

You can share knowledge but you cant share wisdom. Using knowledge wisely separates engineers from the enthusiastic amateurs that burden our society

You might also look into the white (hard) irons used it slurry applications - some of those handle both abrasion and corrosion. Check slurry pump websites for info
is a good place to start - they explain the different materials

Keep the wheels on the ground
Bob
showshine@aol.com

Have done a couple of these. Cast iron works fine so the pump need not be expensive. Your main issues will be seagrass/ sand and priming which can be quite a big thing.
Vacuum pumps and venturis are both used.
You may find a submersible is cheaper overall.

Steve

Steve,

This issue was discussed in another thread...

Consider specification of a fiberglass casing pump.... FRP pumps offer excellent service under a variety of conditions....... MET-PRO has a division called "FIBROC" with a proven FRP pump design

I think that your requirements for an efficiency of 78% or better is not compatable with the flora, fauna, sand and muck that you will be pulling through the pump.....Efficiencies above 80% typically only apply to vertical axis, multi-stage centrifugal pumps.....you may have to settle for 55-70% efficiency

Also, the 20 TDH sounds very low (is it realistic ?)....Carefully examine where you end up on the pump curve for the pump you finally select....you do not want to end up with a maintenance nightmare

Seawater is nasty abrasive stuff, good luck

My opinion only

MJC

Thanks for al the replies...this project is still under development, so when I get to a selection, I'll let you all know what and why.

Thanks

PacificSteve

To clairify what Smckennz is telling you is put the pump in a pit of some sort which means a vertical sump pump. Manufacturers of this type of pump all have chemical resistance charts which will guide you in selecting materials.

In addition, you will not get 78% efficiency for this type of pump.

PacificSteve:

In the petro industry (platforms) the manufactures are Schlumberger, Baker and Weatherford.

The link for Schlumberger is:

SLB.com

Once there do a search for REDA pumps.

The link for Baker is:

Baker.com

Once there do a search for Centrilift pumps

The link for Weatherford is:

Weatherford.com

Once there do a search for Weatherford ESP

Happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.