Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same Balloon number in multiple views 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

James7443

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2014
US
Is there any ASME or other specification covering Balloons in Assembly drawings? Specifically, can you place a balloon for the same part in two different views?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what the standards are, but I often do. The revision number may be different depending on what sheet revision number... I don't maintain the same revisions if there are no changes to a sheet.

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I use the balloon in main view, then if needed in another view it's shown as ref.
I have had people that don't know how to read dwgs think the qty changes if more than one balloon for same part.
If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.[wink]

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks
ctophers home

A balloon is to indicate "This item, of this quantity, is in this location." Repeating a balloon in another view for the same item without any note may mislead anyone who is following the drawing to create assembly instructions or understand how the assembly fits together.

It is typical when a balloon is used as a reminder that an item is seen in a different view to mark that reminder with "REF" as the quantity. This tells the user of the drawing that there should be a callout somewhere else and not to add an assembly step for the extra balloon.

In really simple drawings it may make no difference, but as the complexity of the drawing and the counts of items approaches the hundreds to thousands of components, give the person writing assembly instructions as much help as possible so they don't have to guess if they already accounted for an item or not.

My practice has been to list item balloon, quantity, sheet, zone, view, and any related flag for each item on the drawing in a spreadsheet to make cross-checking with the BOM and the assembly instructions straightforward. This catches cases where an item is in the BOM and never mentioned on the drawing or the wrong item number is in the balloon on the drawing, or anti-tamper is not applied to all the screws, et al. When there are 400 tapped holes and only 397 screws are identified, such a list can really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back