Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Same part file names

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverManhire

Mechanical
Mar 19, 2002
AU
Does SW allow parts of the same file name but from different directories to be in the same assembly. I ran into this problem last week when I named two different parts from two different sub-assemblies with the same name. Each part was in its own sub-assembly folder, but when I opened one of the sub-assemblies the wrong part loaded??? Can I over come this problem or do I have to remember not to use the same name for any part I ever create?

Regards

Oliver Manhire

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No they have to be different names not matter what....but

Alternative---> If the 2 or more parts are close or even if they are not try using Configurations. That way you can use the same part in all your sub-assembly just use a different configuration instead and if you need it to show in a BOM. Just go the properties of the or each configuration and use "Configuration name" instead of "Documnet name". You can use DT's (Design Tables) to control your configs easier.

I hope that helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help first*

SW doesn't make the difference between two different parts with the same name but in different folders when you try to put them together in the same assy. It came as a surprise to me when I first noticed that, and it was a little annoying but I found latter that it's better this way. So my advice is: try to identify each part with it's own unique name. Something like: base plate-shuttle & base plate-stand or base plate-1600 & base plate-1800.

Andrew

We put a description and part number in the filename. All part numbers are unique, so the same description can be used multiple times.
Example:
2" long bracket --> bracket_12345.sldprt
3" long bracket --> bracket_12346.sldprt
4" long bracket --> bracket_12347.sldprt

That sounds like you are asking for trouble...

2" long bracket --> bracket_12345.sldprt
could be keyed in wrong as
2"long bracket --> bracket_12345.sldprt
and who would catch it?

You have 2 schools of thought with part numbers, either Significant or Non-significant part numbers. in the long run, non-significant part numbers are the way to go. If you need to control files, get PDM software that will do the job properly. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Hi Oliver,

I ran into the same problem.
The way I solved my problem was by rename one file by adding a period to not totally mess up the BOM.
For example, if you have to parts named bracket.
Leave one name and other bracket.sldprt
and the other bracket..sldprt.

Hope this helps

SolidWorks can quite cheerfully use parts from different directories.

The common name problem is a little more subtle than has been mentioned above. If you have set up a default file location in the OPTIONS, SW will start there and then look into subdirectories. As soon as it finds the proper name it tries to put that file into an assembly. This seems to happen (sometimes) even when the desired filename is in the same subdirectory as the assembly.

The solution can be to NOT have a default directory, or else to always use discrete filenames. If you have the problem, the SolidWorks Explorer can be the best way to change names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back