Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sampling and integration and units, basic math

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtrasoundGuy

Bioengineer
Nov 18, 2013
US

Ive been given some formulas that I need to follow for the computing the ultrasound output levels computation from a imaging tranducer, its required by the FDA
I have to integrate the power (h)(measured from hydrophone)from the face of the transducer in the x and y direction.
the formula is something to the extent
v(z) = 1/T * integral (integral ( h (x,y,z) ) dx dy

now if im using sample points for h(x,y,z), its really a summation rather than integral.

so the question.
If the sample points of the hydrophone voltage were taken at 0.25mm steps, not 1cm
and the units of constant T are in CM.
do I have to correct for this by using a scalar?

thanks for the help in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm sorry, you understand how to make the leap from integral to a summation of finite points, but the number of points is what's throwing you? [ponder]

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Pretty typical oversight. The integral is actually approximated by the Riemann sum, not the sum. The difference is the multiplication by the slice width. That is, the integral and the Riemann sum both give you area (height times width) while the sum only gives you total (sum of heights).

Convince yourself by imagining three different slice widths: 0.5cm (twice as many slices but all multiplied by 0.5), 1cm (same as integral without adjustment), 2cm (half as many slices but all multiplied by 2).

OP said:
the sample points ... were taken at 0.25mm steps

LY said:
imagining three different slice widths

LY makes a good point and it's worth double-checking, but perhaps the geometry of the 0.25mm sampling step size does provide effectively constant slice widths.

OP said:
required by the FDA... ...I have to integrate the power....from the face of the transducer

This seems pretty clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back