Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sampling valve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

embjh

Petroleum
Nov 30, 2004
GB
I am looking for a solution to sample oil (300ml), recirculating over a pump back into its own tank.
A simple tap can not be used as "bottom" tankvalve, as it is not reliable.
We do have experience with a bypass stream but is a messy operation (maybe not the right type of bypass (or operator..)).
Of course should the sample point be as clean as possible, so any voids need to be avoided.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are specific "sampling" valves. Picture a ball valve with a "pocket" in it. When it is turned to the "sample" position, the pocket is isolated and drains to a lab-type sample bottle that screws into the side of the valve.

Here's one.

Other types exist: One style pushes a piston into the line and opening a void behind the piston which then fills, then when the piston is retracted, the void drains into a sample cup.

Thanks Jim.
The flowserve thing looks workable, some concern about the remaining dripping after sampling. The second, I recognised but I do not want to rely on the small seal for tightning....
Anybody with experience in using the flowserve type of sampler?

How about a block and bleed valve and some tubing?

Century Valves makes several models, you may want to take a look.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back