Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sand Equivalent 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geokhan

Geotechnical
Apr 3, 2021
AE
Why during sand equivalent test the reported value should be taken to the nearest higher whole number..is there any scientific reason for that or its just for the purpose of ease..thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does one really think the test is so accurate and the number so technically useful to worry about decimals of a whole number. Liquid Limit and Plastic Limits are reported to the whole number too and an argument could be made that these tests' results are more "accurate" than whole numbers.

Yes sir your thoughts are nice...but why not to the nearest small whole number? Why always next whole number..example 7.1 should be reported as 8 why not 7.

Because in maths if you are 5 and above you round up.

Why would you report 7.1 as 8? I think that maybe you are thinking that rounding up to 8 may be more conservative. I dont think that is correct as parameters being higher or lower can be conservative or unconservative in specific applications.

Ron I routinely see atterbergs to 2 decimals. Same with settlement, we have many clients that wont accept a bearing pressure if its 25.2mm. HAS TO BE 25mm OR BELOW!!! Some ppl just dont get it.

And also Geokhan, you need to start giving some more information with your questions. What "sand equivalent" test, BS, ASTM etc? In many standards there is a requirement of the standard to report numbers in a certain fashion.

Geokhan, I have no idea why it rounds up. I am not familar with the test.

But again, more information equals better answers. You should have posted the screen shot from the start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back