Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sanitary sewer pipe thru box culvert?

RickSewerPipe

Geotechnical
Oct 25, 2024
US
Visit site
Hello Eng-Tips.com community! :)

I need to cross-under a four lane state highway to get to the township's gravity sewer main on the other side.
In lieu of pneumatic tunnel boring (expensive) the ideal point of cross-under is at an existing state owned box culvert with a low flow stream running thru it (see pic).
Its a 5ft high x 12ft wide box culvert with a 100 year flood design size.
Is it ever permitted to run a sanitary sewer pipe (2" HDPE forced lateral)thru a box culvert of this type? The 2" pipe would be attached to the ceiling of the culvert.

Box_Culvert_r9gbw8.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you talked to the highway department? It's probably their culvert and they would be the ones to decide if it's allowed.

From an engineering perspective, I can envision putting your 2" HPDE pipe inside of a 4" (?) steel carrier pipe that is securely attached to the roof of the culvert, probably near or in an upper corner.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

@FEL3
Thanks for your response!
The township sewer engineer is agreeable to this, but said I would have to get PA STATE approval and permit if they allowed this.
...... and other authorities may also want permissions as well (EPA, etc)

What are you running, a gravity sewer or a force main?

What is pneumatic tunnel boring?

Why do you state that HDD is expensive? You can construct this within a week?

@bimr:

What are you running, a gravity sewer or a force main?

Forced lateral (pumped) ...... with siphonic drain function as a back-up.
This 2" lateral is 450ft long!!
The vertical height differential from starting elevation to end discharge into the township's gravity sanitary sewer is 40ft (25ft is of almost a vertical drop straight down .... the remaining pipe is at 1/4" drop per ft)

What is pneumatic tunnel boring?

an air operated cylinder that punches its way horizontally thru the soil ..... leaving a hole to thread your 2" sewer pipe thru

NOTE: Running this 2" pipe across the ceiling of the colvert allows me to transverse the steam without having to do an inverted loop under the stream bed.

Back