Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sanitary Sewer Piping Oversized? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuuvox000

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2019
US
We have a situation where we sized piping at 8" round in order to take advantage of the smaller slope of 1/16" per foot required by code. We did this because the building is 1,000 ft long and that would make it so we don't have to dig so deep to meet 1/8" per foot slope. The building is a warehouse and no one knows yet what will be going on there in the future. It could be manufacturing or something else. If there ends up being just a couple of bathrooms and sinks, would the solids get stuck in the 8" pipe? There's nothing in the IPC that I could find on maximum pipe size. Can anyone point me to some equations or data regarding this? Any personal experience? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Warehouses are tricky because they typically have very long runs of pipe and there typically is a single hole restroom (for the truckers) at a remote area of the building. Using a larger pipe to avoid deeper trenches is going to come back and get you. I would recommend using 6" or even 4" pipe and come out of the building at the mid point so it minimizes the depth and the run. Put in lots of clean outs (every 50 feet). If you are not worried about water conservation, put in a timer operated bed pan washer flush valve (~5 gpf) at a remote part of the pipe. The discharge will help keep the piping washed down.

Agree with PEDARRIN2 comments on this.

You may also consider use a small pump and force main if the domestic facilities are on the opposite end of the building.

If the rest room , kitchen etc.is at a remote area , I would reccomend (if possible ) to exit from the bldg nearest point and run the sewer line outside the bldg with a slope 1/200 and with dia 8 in.
Provide manhole at every 150 ft .
The flushing of toilets will provide the necessary flow to avoid settlements of solids.

If you post a plan you may get more useful responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back