SAP2000: Frame Releases not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

tru_go

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2023
ID
Hey everyone,

I've been working on a structural model in SAP2000 and have encountered a peculiar issue that I hope someone can help me with. I am trying to apply moment releases to certain points in my model, but I find that while some points allow for moment releases, others do not.

Here’s what I’ve been doing:

1. I select the joints where I need to apply the moment release.
2. I attempt to apply the moment release via Assign > Frame Releases/Partial Fixity.

For some joints, this process works perfectly, but for others, the option to apply the moment release just doesn’t seem to work or is grayed out. There doesn’t seem to be a clear pattern or reason why certain points behave differently.

Could there be specific conditions or model settings that I might be overlooking that determine where moment releases can or cannot be applied? Is it possible that the type of elements connected to these joints, or the configuration of the structure itself, affects this?

Any advice, tips, or similar experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assign frame releases applies to frames - not joints. If you want to release a frame, you need to apply it to the frame element, not the joint. If you want to release moment at a joint support - you want to be using the restraints menu for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back