Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SAP2000: Is it necessary to break an element at frame intersections? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomascook84

Civil/Environmental
Apr 4, 2024
MY
Say, I am modelling a truss in SAP 2000. I have done several in the past. Normally at the joint intersections between the chord and the strut/ties, I will leave the chord member unbroken. Therefore the chord element is a single element spanning between defined restraints, instead of multiple shorter elements bisected by the intersecting strut/ties. Of course the latter will yield a favourable (but unrealistic) utilization ratio due to shorter effective length used in buckling calculations. Can anyone out there share their own experience or thoughts.
01-unbroken_nkdhuk.jpg
02-broken_tndj4w.jpg

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the past - I have either broken the frames at all nodes or simply specified the unbraced length ratio to be the panel point distance in the design options. As long as it is properly catching the web members through meshing - the analysis should be the same

Normally I use the unbroken element it is very convenient from managability point of view, you have to deal with only one element to check the D/C ratios. I modify the unbraced length of that element in the related principal axis overwrites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back