Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

[SAP2000] Joint Load vs Point Load on Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoohooos

Structural
Mar 20, 2021
US
Are they the same? Assuming the selected location for point load is at the same location as 0 Relative Distance of the frame load. Compared to the point load I apply at 0 Relative Distance of the said member.

The difference I see now is that, if I apply as joint load, it will show in the joint load window and if I apply as a frame point load, it will appear in the frame load window. Will it make any differences? What I'm doing is applying wind load in a specific direction.

Thank you very much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With pretty much all finite element analysis software I have used, if you are going to apply a significant point load to a member, there are some advantages to adding this at a node location (precision in the output, especially deflection, force reporting at the node, etc.). Be aware that this can affect default behavior for things like bending unbraced length.

Very little difference to the user. The difference is more in how it's handled internally.

A joint load creates a Joint / Node that is part of the FEM model at that location. This means any Joint input / output will exist at this location.

A member point load does NOT create a Joint / Node in the model. Instead this is converted into equivalent loads at the ends of the member, the analysis is done, the FEM joint results are calculated, and member forces will be derived based on the FEM results.

I'm not 100% certain what repercussions this will have on the result. I know that in RISA, this would mean that member shear deformation would not be accounted for at this location. Though that's usually very small unless the member is very deep with a short span.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back