Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAP2000 - RC Rectangular Water Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexYu

Civil/Environmental
Jan 11, 2016
HK
Hi all, I am working on the design of a RC water tank, and I need your help...!!
Thanks in advance!!!!

Size and Structural Form

RC Rectangular Water Tank
- Designed as a Rigid Box Structure, as the Roof, Base & Walls are all monolithically connected
- Size of the Tank = 68m (Length) x 30m (Width) x 9m (Height)
- Thickness of Roof, Base, Walls = 0.4m

SR_Model_v5kxwk.png

Baffle Walls
- 3 Baffle Walls inside the tank to guide the flow of water
- Designed to be Full-height Structural Wall transfering load from the Roof to the Base
- Not Full-length in order to allow water flow

Baffle_Wall_csx3jv.png

Foundation
- Shallow Foundation sitting directly on Soil
- Base Slab acts as Foundation

Questions

1. How to model the Slab Foundation?
- In RC building, fixed-end supports are added to the column ends.
- For Slab Foundation, should I use Area Spring (z-axis)& Soil Spring (x & y-axis) at Base Slab?
- Do I need to restrain (i.e. to fix) the lateral (x & y) movement?

2. What is the structural behaviour of the tank under seismic loading?
- The analysis shows that the roof has large in-plane deformation, resulting in high tension at far side, and compression at near side.
- The behaviour is similar to a beam sagging under UDL (compression at top; tension at bottom).
- The Roof does not act as a rigid diaphragm, but a flexible one.
- I reckon it is the actual behaviour, as the roof and the walls have same thickness, yet the roof has a much longer span (68m) while the wall is just 9m tall. The in-plane stiffness of the Roof should be smaller than the Walls. Given the smaller relative stiffness, the roof is flexible.
- To be clear, I used Area Spring (z) and Soil Spring (x & y) at Base Slab, not sure if it affects the result???

3. Seismic Loading of the Tank
- Could anyone advise what is the best way to model the seismic loading?
- I tried equivalent lateral load method and response spectrum modal analysis method.
- The eq. lateral load method greatly amplify the effect in Q2 (Compression at Near Side of Roof, Tension at Far Side of Roof)

4. Interpretation of Shell Element Result
- Is F11 and F22 representing the Axial Load?
- Since I have large F11 & F22 in the Shell Element on Wall, does it mean that I have to design it as a column in both 11 & 22 axis?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back