Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sarcasm 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngAP

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2007
GB
After browsing these forums for a while I have noticed a lot of sarcasm in answers. Maybe some questioners desevre it for posting questions that a little hard work would solve but I have also seen it widespread in response to very good questions/answers.

As an example I recently replied to a thread with an answer that I obtained directly from a data/spec sheet, with my response drawing a sarcastic reply from another poster suggesting I was incorrect. However it is by no means limited to to that thread - I have noticed it in threads where I am in no way involved in the discussions.

I do not see the reason for it, other than for the "sarcasmee" to feel like a bigger person.

It may be a misunderstanding of cultural differences as these formums have no national limits but I see it as genuine bad manners.

I would be interested in others' opinions on the matter.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you post a few snippets of some of the sarcastic replies that you consider offensive? While there are some jokers around here, the site moderation is pretty effective at keeping out people/posts that attract sarcasm.

- Steve

From Wikipedia:
Sarcasm is most often used as an intelligent form of humor to satirically and paradoxilly portray the minutinae and uselessness in some aspects of everyday life. Sarcasm, despite its wounding potential, can help reinforce one's lack of worldliness in a playful, yet pragmatic manner. It can be directed at persons, objects, events, ideologies, establishments, or even with references to history.[8] It is often used as proxy to other forms of expression. For example, instead of becoming angry and yelling at someone in a conflict, a person might choose to use sarcasm as an alternative.

My thought: Emotion is very hard to determine in any electronic communication. Try to read what the person wrote, not how (emotionally) he wrote it.

EngAP,

Back in the UK I experienced much higher levels of sarcasm everyday in the office than I usually see here, so I can't say I get offended by the sarcasm too much here.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, though, there have been responses on this site that would make some of my current colleagues cry.

If a post really offends you then redflag it and let the moderator decide if it's OTT.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I would think the source would be the "sarcasmer" while the target would be the "sarcasmee."

But, why wouldn't posting a bad question be considered bad manners? I've seen questions that 10 seconds of Googling would have answered. So some lazy engineer would rather waste our collective time because he can't be bothered to do a decent websearch, and a smart-ass answer is bad-manners? There are likewise, dozens of questions each week from lazy students, looking for a handout, and are often met with sarcasm.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Where I come from sarcasm is the lay of the land, you wouldnt survive the schoolyard if you did not know how to deal with it.

Get over it, they are just words.

I just looked at the reply you referenced in your initial posts, and I really don't see the big deal. You won the technical argument in question, and "ummmm" is simply not a red-flaggable offense.

Engineers are a sarcastic bunch.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I've always thought that a bit of a ribbing (along with the right answer) was part of the price payed for asking a foolish (or lazy) question. I haven't seen much here that I think crosses that barrier.

I've always said, "better the right answer with a little snarkiness than the wrong answer nicely".

My thoughts only, I'm sure it's all because my mother didn't raise me right (grin).

SLH

Start your own message board with only sober and serious postings. NO TONGUE IN CHEEK OR HYPERBOLE ALLOWED EITHER! Thus, only correct answers will be displayed.

I do not follow many of the forums in which you (EngAP) have posted but I have to agree and disagree. There are many questions which could be answered with little knowledge but are yet posted. I see some very helpful engineers spending a large amount of their time trying to educate and it is unlikely that they get compensation for the posts here.

I myself have been tempted to post some replies to questions which I feel require a little commonsense and not much else.

I think when a person responds to an engineering forum they should do so in a professional manner. If a person thinks a question is stupid, or a response is inane then they should just ignore it and not post a response.

Everyone has their own level of tolerance, whether they are posting a question or an answer. Some users simply ignore a post that exceeds their tolerance, others post with straight-forward responses, while other use sarcasm. I don't see a problem with its use.

The Red Flag functionality is available to every user on Eng-Tips and is provided to allow members to self-moderate these forums. If something exceeds your tolerance threshold, Red Flag it and the site administrators will decide if it should be deleted or modified.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

EngAP,

I actually went thru all of your threads (slow at lunch today). I did not see any sarcasm in your threads. I did see that one of the engineers that has been most responsive to your posts, getting a little frustrated when trying to answer your questions. But no sarcasm.

It is obvious from the replies to threads that you have posted that you are thoughtful and considerate. That's great, but you may need to loosen up a bit. As noted earlier, sarcasm is a form of intelligent humor, and engineers do tend to be a bit sarcastic. Do not take it personally. If it does seem to go to the extreme, red flag it and move on.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - [small]Thomas Jefferson [/small]

Frenetically searching for a sarcastic response to this thread.
snp3dk.gif

Keith Cress
kcress -

EngAP,

Hg is right. Engineers can be a sarcastic bunch. You've got highly intelligent people here with just enough interpersonal awkwardness to breed some of the best sarcasm.

And sometimes what is intended as humor might come off as sarcastic. I'll apologize if anything I'VE said seemed sarcastic to you. I'll assure you that I've got plenty of social ineptitude, but not quite the level of intelligence to pull of really good sarcasm.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

I think its hard to interject any humor into engineering subjects without being dryly sarcastic to some degree. It hardly works otherwise. As cass suggests, engineers arn't generally known for interpersonal skills, which rapidly deteriorate when expressed via forum media for most any profession. Besides, if I was any good at humor, I doubt I'd be an engineer. So if I'm guilty, you should first try to accept it as an inept attempt at humor and secondly, just a means of emphisizing my point. If that doesn't work, let me know that you found it to be offensive in some manner and you will more often than not receive my prompt apology, or a further explanation as to why I thought it was justified, in which case you will just have to DEAL WITH IT!

"If everything seems under control, you're just not moving fast enough."
- Mario Andretti- When asked about transient hydraulics

Well, according to some old geezer "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

Wit is demonstrably in short supply on the Internet, I suggest you treasure every sarcastic reply you get.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Greg, my history teacher used to say "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence", not sure where she was quoting from. Seeing as most people here are pretty intelligent it may explain it.

A lot of it can vary based on personality, which in itself can have cultural underpinnings. The field of engineering I worked in in the UK was a bit “rough around the edges”, a lot of the staff were ex forces or had come up through apprenticeships etc., I've mentioned in other threads that it wasn't very PC. A lot of the banter there, including sarcasm, would probably offend many members on this site.

At the end of the day if it upsets you red flag it and/or just don't log back onto that thread or respond to that poster again etc. Making a response is likely to either end up in flames (which will probably get red flagged anyway) and/or in you getting belittled by some acerbic comments. In fact I’m surprised that hasn’t happened on this thread.

(By the way, is it really an ethical issue?)

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back