Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Satchell link question

Status
Not open for further replies.

howboycat

Automotive
Jul 6, 2008
US
I am looking for good information on designing a satchell link rear suspension. The car is a four cylinder, five speed, front engine rear drive platform. It should scale in at about 2050 lbs when done. This car should make about 300 horsepower and its intended use is tarmac hillclimbs.
Any books you can refer me to or personal input is appreciated as I am an engine builder not a suspension guy

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So... if you are an engine guy what drew you to a Satchell link?

Anyway, sorry, they must be mentioned in Milliken cos they aren't in the index of any of the other usual suspects.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Here is the only place that I've heard of it (and some interesting reading)

Photos of one system (note the orientation of the 4 locating arms painted green)

It's main advantage appears to be the ability to have good anti-squat geometry without causing roll oversteer. Is that something you need in a hill-climb car? Sounds like more of a benefit in a roadracing application.

I got the term from Herb Adams book Chassis Engineering. And what drew me to it is it seems to be a good design that would be simple, stable, and strong. And yes could be designed to exhibit a slight roll understeer to aid in stability and predictability. though I said slight, I'd like to end up with a fairly neutral car.

thread78-164297

It is a good system, within the limitations of any 4 bar setup.

But, since traction out of tight corners is your main requirement I'd have thought something a bit less compromised was indicated.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back