Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saturation point of water in hydraulic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

obg

Electrical
Mar 26, 2002
GB
Does anyone know of a method of predicting the ppm saturation point (water absorbed in oil) with respect to temperature.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am attempting to predict the change of saturation level of Hydraulic oil, with respect to temperature. I have a device that will give me the percentage saturation level over a thermal range of 10 - 70Cº but cannot as yet translate this into PPM.

No! 1% saturation is not necesarily 10,000 ppm. In many cases 100% water saturation occurs at only 200ppm at room temperature in hydraulic oil. The relationship between %saturation-water and ppm is different at varying temperatures. This is because oils (like air) can hold more water (ppm) at higher temperatures. Calculating the ppm from the %saturation usually requires a logarithmic formula with both temperature AND %saturation as variables. First, you have to know the saturation curve for your specific oil. Here's an example from the Hydac AquaSensor brochure:
<a href=So now the question is how to determine that curve. I don't know the answer to that, but be warned: the curve will also change as the fluid and aditives begin to break down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back