Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

save as part, external faces only

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidCreative

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2004
CA
solidworks has the feature to save an assembly as a part, external faces only. This reduces model size dramaticly. Is there any way to do this with inventor, or even mechanical desktop? I've heard of the shrink wrap feature they have, but it seems way more difficult, as you have to cap all open ends. That is a little difficult when trying to cap every end of a entire assembly plant model.

thanks
Matthew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No not really the new labs shrinkwrap feature is as close as you can get without going to great lengths with derived parts,etc..

I do agree that this shrinkwrap functionality that Autodesk has been showing on the labs site is really a tough tool to use. Seems we asked for shrinkwrap functionality that was easy to use like ProE/Solidworks and Autodesk's motto is 200 mouse clicks is always better than 1 so you can see where that went.

I have never used solidworks. Is their shrink wrap functionality as easy as picking the assembly model and saving as the shrinkwrap model. To me it just seems that Inventors shrinkwrap addin was done with the least amount of coding and this requires users to do so much more work than other cad packages.

Mcgyvr,

It could be much worse, you could be using CATIA like I am. In that case I think Dassault's motto was if one mouse click/icon is good lets make 10 and give them unintuitive names....

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back