Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

save as pdf creates a locked file

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgriesel

Mechanical
Jan 4, 2011
US

Both myself and my co-worker have run into this problem. If we "Save as" and select pdf the file is locked and cannot be opened by anyone other than the creator or the computer system admin. We only started noticing it within the last few months. This does not occur if I instead print to pdf using a system printer. It seems odd that it is happening to both of us.

Anyone have an idea?

Both systems are Windows 7 64bit and Solid Edge ST4(about to install ST6, perhaps that may fix?)

Thanks, I appreciate any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello again,

Upgraded to ST6 and the pdf files created by Solid Edge "save as" are still a locked file only viewable to the creator.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Thanks, appreciate your comments.

The folders vary but are all within a common shared folder tree along with the part and assembly files which have no issue. We are a simple Windows network with sharing, with 2 installations of ST6 both running Win7-64. Both systems create locked pdf's using "Save as" If I print to a pdf printer instead of the "Save as" there is no issue.

Also, if the file is emailed the lock automatically comes off.

I have that printing to a pdf printer work around, but this all seemed odd since all other "save as" file type have no issue. And even odder that it was happening to 2 systems.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back