Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Save Part from Assembly with Axis/Planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhag84

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2014
US
Hi all, I am coming from Unigraphics and have an assembly that I need to modify. I would like to select certain solid bodies as well as axis/planes and save as a separate part to work on. What is the best way to do this? If I select the solid bodies, I can right click and 'Insert into new Part' but as soon as I select the Axis as well, that option goes away.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jhag84,

Could you please re-write your question? I am not sure what you want to do.

In a SolidWorks assembly, you can insert a new part, select a face for your first sketch, and then extrude, revolve, loft, etc. to create your part, using your assembly geometry. You can create a new part by creating a new part file, and inserting it by mating the initial planes. Your planes will match those of at least one part in your assembly.

--
JHG

Why don't you just isolate the parts within the assembly that you want to work on and a edit that part in the assembly? If you save the assembly as a part and make changes your changes will not be reflected in the assembly you saved the part from. You break the link when you save an assembly as a part.

Hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

NX and Solidworks handle assemblies a lot differently. You will need to approach part and assembly files differently when you work in SolidWorks.

From my experience with NX; there are no assembly files, just part files. And you can have multiple parts within a part file, and everything still has the same nx part extension.

In solidworks, there are part files and assembly files. Try going over some tutorials and see if that helps, or keep asking questions here.

I had to work with NX for 3 years and still had issues understanding what was going on behind the scenes. Things like references, links, configurations, and assemblies are handled very differently.

Not going to start an argument about which is better, just know that the 2 programs are very, very different in how they work.

-Lou

Do you want to create a x_t within all the parts in a single file? If so, you can just save the entirely solidworks assembly part into a single solidworks part. Then change it into a x_t file.

But be careful, if you save the assembly part as a single part, you will lose all the features. JUST LIKE it done in UG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back