Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAVE_AS with family tables and drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckpang

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2001
GB
1) When I do a save as operation on a part/assm, the instance gives a warning that the name already exist. Which it does! How do I avoid this?

2) I have a drawing of an assm. (box and lid) The Generic has the door closed, the Instance with door open. Both assm are in the same drawing.

When I do a save_as on the assm (Generic) I expect the drawing and Instance to copy over. The drawing does, but the instance goes *$#*#* I get the warning 1) I can even see the instance in the open file box, BUT no real instance. Just an empty file with all the parts! Just to kick me when I am down, the new drawing refers to the old instance! HELP.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Answers:

IF WORKING IN INTRALINK

You will never be able to use the "save_as" functionality for a part having instances.Instead use "copy" option.

IF NOT USING INTRALINK

Pro/E does not recomend having same name for two files of one type. As instance is also a part, when you "save_as" a generic part with some other name, both the parts have an instance of same name. To remove this warning, just open one of the instance and give some other name to it. Mind it, do not rename by editing in the Family Table. It is a bad practice.

HAPPY WORKING!!

Amish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back