Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Saving a part and drawing as a new number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azum

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2007
GB
I know the answer to this is on here as I have seen it before but search as I may I cannot find it again
I want to take a drawing and a part and I think using design assistant save them both as a new number with links to each other.
The idea being to make minor changes to the part and then just update that area only in the drawing but the rest of the drawing detail will be intact thus saving time by not having to do the whole drawing again
Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you need to use Inventor Design Assistant. Open the old dwf file, which should pull in the old ipt file as well. Rename both to the new part number (right mouse button on each file name), then click save.

There is a free tool on the Autodesk Inventor Exchange that will do an Enhanced Save Copy As that will do this without Design Assistant. You have to be on 2013 Inventor though. Otherwise you can also write code to do it if you really wanted to.

Thanks for the advice but still no luck
I am on 2011 with vault
The drawings are in one file and I need them in another file where I can make small detail changes to fit another purpose
I open in design assistant but RHB does not show any options to rename
I am surprised that this is not an easier option as it would improve effiencency greatly

So why are you not just doing a Copy Design in Vault? Find your drawing file, RMB on it and choose Copy Design in Vault. Then pick your new location for the copy and updated file references.

That seems to work a whole lot better
I am still playing with it but why does the new copied files appear in a sub file in the new location named after the place they came from
I am targetting the top level but each time it creats a new file
Still seem to be getting there

To answer my own question I think it was some rogue files left in the directory from when I was experimenting
This works very well this morning so thanks for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back