Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAW Essential Variable for Welder / Welding Operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyoungs

Industrial
Sep 30, 2010
CA
I currently have our welders qualification records for SAW listing the personel as Welding Operators. My issue is variable #(7) to mulitple electrodes. Under Welders, multiple electrodes is not an essential variable but under Operators b/c it is. Our welders do not manually minipulate the electrode by hand held but yet they push the buttons to guide the laser tracker beam to follow the groove. We'd like to qualify our SAW welders for dual eletrode under non essential varibles but I feel our welders fall under welding operators. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue. Thanks, Chuck

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The definition of welder and welding operator is your tripping point. Refer to either AWS A3.0 or AWS for a definition of both.

Essentially a welder uses either a manual or semiautomatic welding process. These include SMAW, GTAW, GMAW, and FCAW. You can also include hand-held SAW as a semi-automatic process.

The welding operator uses either mechanized or automatic welding systems.

The qualification variables are different for the welder and the welding operator. The variables also differ by the welding standard that is applicable.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back