SCADA !! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

syab

Chemical
Jul 4, 2004
CA
Hello all
i'm working in the instrumentation field, and i want to know also about scada,what it mean and how it work.can anybody please recommend some sites that could benefit me. thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition

A Google search turns up just over 1,000,000 hits. You might want to start there.

I would start by finding out which PLC is the main statndard at your site as many PLC manufacturers will probably sell SCADA packages too. E.G Rockwell RSView, Siemens WinCC etc. This generally allows for good comms as the drivers (part of SCADA that allows it to communicate with the PLC's) are usually built in. Having said that most good 3rd party SCADAs will supply most drivers (at a cost). Some popular ones are iFix, Cimplicity, WinCC, InTouch etc.
Hope that sends you on the way.... [bigglasses]

One of the things I like about Citect is, with one or two exceptions, NO CHARGE for drivers. The list of drivers supplied with the package can be checked on their website. I believe there are about 120-150 drivers supplied at no extra cost.

One exception I know about is some drivers for AB require a licence fee to be paid to AB.

SCADA applications can be normally catagorized into local monitoring capabilty or remote monitoring capability. Local monitoring consists of local PLC hardware and some type of GUI(Graphic User Interface). In my case, I use modicon PLC and Wonderware GUI. To design PLC and GUI, first you need to creat a data base in excel spread sheet for register numbers and bit numbers which correspond to the device that your want to monitor. Then, you should program the PLC and GUI according to the data base informaton.
Remote monitoring system consists of local PLC or RTU (Remote Monitoring Unit). The information is transmitted over some type of communicaton line such as private fiber network or lease bandwidth or lease telephone line to central monitoring center. You also need to choose the communicaton protocol to transmit the data.
There are also some type of computers network system at the central montoring system for another GUI. In my case, I use unix base silicon graphic computer system. There are a lot of details but this should at lease give you started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back