Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCADA 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwilson3

Electrical
Dec 20, 2001
US
I'm interested in getting the names of manufacturers of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) equipment/systems for utility type electrical power distribution systems.

Can anyone help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Google has quite a few hits on SCADA, including some OEMs.

however, the info you may be looking for might not be available due to the security precautions being focused on SCADA systems.

if you are an employee of an electric utility you may have to go through your resident IT and/or I&C departments.

For small to medium-size systems (the size of most medium/large municipal utilities), I'd recommend either:

Advance Control Systems (ACS) Atlanta or
Open Systems International (OSI) Minneapolis

Both have excellent reputations.

For SCADA consulting to determine requirements and help develop procurement specification, project management, test witnessing, technical consulting, etc., there's no better than KEMA Consulting (Chalfont, PA; (215) 997-4500). Two good consultants there I've used are:
Bob Uluski and John McDonald. John has recently been elected President of the IEEE Power Engineering Society so may not be taking on much new work.

A word of caution on ACS - we are moving away from ACS for a couple of reasons:
1. They are very proprietary - therefore there is no competetion - you have to use their equipment.
2. The version we have is a unix based system and requires HP computer equipment - again no competition.
3. Because of 1 & 2, it's hard to interface with other outside equipment.

We have recently upgraded our SCADA system to a Windows based dual master system. We chose Survalent Technologies. The new system has been online for 1.5 years. The customer support is second to none. Highly recommended!!
If you have a technical design question most of the time you are talking to the engineer that designed it. Everyone at Survalent is eager to solve a problem. They also have great user group meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back