Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scale factors for response spectrum and time history curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

AleksaBgd94

Structural
May 30, 2018
DE
Hi everyone,

I use Response Spectrum function from Eurocode in SAP2000 for my project. Should I use scale factor 9,81 when defining the response spectrum load, because response spectrum curve is defined as a fraction of graviotanal acceleration?

Also,if I import time history function from file (accelaration is in m/s2 and time is in s), do I have to use any scale factor when defining linear time history load case?

Units used in both cases are kN,m,C.

I appreciate your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not familiar with SAP2000 (except that Strand7 the software I use can import SAP2000 models), but it seems that the response spectra is typically normalised with g (grav.), thus one would need to multiply it, set a scale factor, in order to get the correct acceleration.

See these two posts for more details: Link

[link extras.springer.com/2001/978-1-4613-5640-0/SapTutor.pdf]Link[/url]

If you have a time history in acceleration units and not normalised units, then I suppose it does not need to be multiplied with anything.

From the SAP2000 help file:
"A response-spectrum function is simply a list of period versus spectral-acceleration values. In SAP2000, the acceleration values in the function are assumed to be normalized; that is, the functions themselves are not assumed to have units. Instead, the units are associated with a scale factor that multiplies the function and that is specified when the response-spectrum load case is defined."

Therefore, I believe you would enter a 9.81 scale factor when the response spectrum load case is defined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back