Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Scale specific dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmoxam

Mechanical
Jul 21, 2011
I am trying to create a series of blocks to be used for panel cutouts.
There are about 20 different sizes. I want to draw and pre-dimension these blocks for insertion into a drawing as need be.
We do all our drawings on D sheets per customers standards and some of the blocks may be placed on the drawing at different scales.
IS THERE A WAY to have the dimensions be associative to the scale at which they are placed? If i use 3/16" dim text in my block and it is placed on the drawing at 2:1 or 4:1 i still want the dimensions to be 3/16" in order to comply with the rest of the drawing.
I realize that the object could be dimensioned correctly on the face of the drawing, but, the point is to include the tolerances and to consistently dimension the block as the operator may not realize which holes require a tolerance and how much. Sure everyone could look up the tolerances beforehand but, the idea here is to have a block that you can drop and go.

Tim Moxam
Senior Mechanical Designer
Aversan Inc.
Toronto,Ontario,Canada

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Annotative dimensions adjust their text and arrow sizes depending on the veiwport scale. But I'm not sure if they change when within a block - you may have to explode the block after insertion.

If a block is scaled up or down, the dimensions, let's say 6.5" of the original "unblock" object will remain the same until you explode the block in the model (drawing) space. When in layout,a viewport is opened and scaled to you client specs, the block as well as its dimensions will change size but the text dimension originally lets say 6.5" will remain as such but to a different text height and width.
In my mind, one thing to do is to explode the scaled block in model space which will change the dimensions and do a corresponding property change before you go to layout paper space and change the scale to you client specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back