Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scaling a drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humble2000

Electrical
Nov 17, 2005
CA
I appreciate your helping me with my question.

I understand that all drawing are drawn at actual dimension in Microstation.I have a drawing which shows 1-24 scale and I need to print it out and measure some dimensions on it. I don't have any ruler that has 1-24 scaling ratio on it and even if I had it how do I know on which size paper would i print it on.

How would I convert this drawing to a scale ratio for example 1-50 or 1-20 or 1-100 that I have the ruler and on which paper size to print them to show the right scale when I use my ruler.
What if I need to print it on a specific size of paper say size D or E,then what probably the ratio needs to be adjusted in order to have readable texts.

I know that this is a very basic question ,but I appreciate your taking time to answer this or direct me to a source that I can get my answer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let's say you've drawn a full-scale beam that's 10 ft long in the cadspace. If it's 1 in = 24 in... that's the same as 1 in = 2 ft. So, your 10 ft long beam would be what, 5 in long on a sheet of paper?

...and if you're using ANSI A, that is, 8.5 in X 11 in, your beam would fit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back