Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scaling Rain Data for a Design Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eft03

Civil/Environmental
Sep 13, 2021
US
Is there a simplified method to scale rain data to an appropriate design storm?

I have rain data from three-nearby rain gauges, which indicate two large rainfall events, 6- and 12-hours. These occurred around the time when the remnants of Hurricane Ida moved through the area.

At the same time, I have flow data from a sewer collection system and from pump stations. What I would like to do is scale the rain data for comparison to a 24-hour storm, but I am not sure if there is a simplified way to do this, or if it is even possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could extract the center of the observed data to create a shorter event, but extending your 6 or 12 hour rainfall observations to generate a 24-hour event is speculative at best. Your 12-hour observations could even exceed the established 24-hour depth you're using for comparison!

Why not compare your observed rainfall to a synthetic rainfall distribution of the same duration? For example, if you wanted to compare to a Type II distribution, 6-hour and 12-hour versions available, in addition to the prevailing 24-hour duration.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back