Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCH 80 PVC Blower supply line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe P

Civil/Environmental
Jun 5, 2019
US
Has anyone used 3" SCH 80 PVC Blower supply line for submerged diffuser in wastewater treatment? In Florida so low ambient temp not a problem. Low PSI in feed line
1532_bmysil.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I take it by your picture the sched 80 pipe will attach to the 4 bolt flange at the lower centre part of the pictureand and is intended as a vertical dropper to supply the black manifold.

The PVC will be okay in the water but it is very likely to get too hot above the water line. This will of course depend on your blowers, the air volumes and operating pressures. If you go to most plants with diffussed type aeration you will find the air supply manifolds are warm to hot. and its not unusual to have air temperatures way above 40 degrees C. Most PVC is only rated to about 50 degrees C so you have to start thinking about what the higher temperature will do to life , strength, expansion/contraction, etc.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

It is customary to run metallic pipe from the blowers for some length until temperature is less. Stainless steel is typical used for the above ground risers on the diffusers.

I have seen sunlight damaged PVC above the water line, and have always used metallic (preferably SS) until about 12-inches below the water level. For EQ tanks that are sometimes empty I used all SS.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back