Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Schaeffler Vario Sense "Smart Bearing" (Onboard Sensors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What resolution do they offer? The SKF sensor bearing, that has been around for decades, cannot deliver more than 80 PPR, which is OK for motors that do not require precise positioning of the motor shaft itself. The A and B channels provide 320 discrete pulses and that is good enough for speed Control and geared-domwn positioning applications. The sensor bearing comes with a simple cable and evaluation can be done in any PLC with high speed inputs. That box and those complex connectors add significantly to cost, I think.
Again: Is the resolution of this unit a lot better? If so, I would be interested.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

I cant answer your question on res, however I recently worked on a project which involved making machinery smart, and counting shaft turns for warranty and parts delivery. The sensor box was a standalone unit and 'sealed for life' with 4 AA batteries which could keep it running for 8yrs. The device pinged daily with an update on rpm/shaft turn count. Getting a sensor which was low energy and easily integrate could have been this bearing but looking at current requirements it wont ever be this bearing now.

Does any bearing exist with a reed switch type trigger per rev sensor?

Brian,

Why would you ever want to use a reed switch for that?

A reed switch is more expensive, more fragile, and comes with much shorter service life than the methods which have replaced them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back