Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schedule time require for greasing of motors and pumps bearings???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngladstone

Mechanical
Dec 24, 2012
YE
Gentelmen,

can i know the schedule require for greasing of bearings for motors and pumps when it is operate 24 hr per day and when it is shutdown for six month??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi john

Check the motor manufacturers manual it usually tells you in there,also check the nameplate on the motor it sometimes tells you the grease and time period.

desertfox

More motors are lost to over greasing than under greasing.
An old school rule of thumb for a mill running two shifts was one shot per bearing for small motors, two shots for larger motors, once a year.
When in doubt, leave it for next year.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Dears

thanks for your quick reply ,

@desertfox ,

There is no mention for greasing period at nameplate my motors is seimens range from 5Hp to 10 Hp so i actually cofuse for the period required to be greased if the motors work 24 hr/day/month ,and if there is stopped period reach 6 month .

@waross,

pls can you clarify more

is there any one get experience fopr soiemens and marathon motors??

with Fully regards
John.

I might help if you specified the type of motors and there rating, serial number etc, can you not find anything in the manufacturers manuals? failing that contact Siemens and enquire with them.

My supervisor's policy was to add a small amount of grease every year. Records were kept. If a motor had been changed during the previous year, it was not greased and a new entry started.
That is great information, spciesla. lps
johngladstone: I defer to the information provided by spciesla.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back