Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCL obsolete? (rd 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxAg78

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2011
US
I originally posted this question in the "ASME (mechanical) Code Issues Forum" under "Engineering Codes, Standards & Certifications"
Subject: SCL obsolete?
REF:
TGS4 provided an excellent response (as always). It didn't get any other feedback, so I thought I'd repost in this forum. Hopefully this doesn't violate cross posting guidelines.

After reviewing related threads in this forum, I'm wondering what's the common practice for applying FEA in design by analysis Section III and Section VIII, Division 2.

There are essentially 2 methods:
1) Linear analysis with linearization along SCL
2) Nonlinear analysis; either a) limit load or b) elastic-plastic analysis)

I am most familiar with linearization using a SCL. This is the "traditional" method I learned. It's deceptively simple because of the need to properly classify each stress category (primary, secondary, etc).

Elastic-plastic is nice for those comfortable with nonlinear analysis. Create the model, define an elastic-plastic material, apply the required load(s), and let the computer do the work! Easy-breezy! (said a bit tongue in cheek) No "classification" required.

So, having been away from the industry, what do most folks do these days? Is SCL now "obsolete"? If not, how does one choose between a linear or nonlinear approach?

I'm interested in a broad set of insights. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back