Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scope of Solidworks in Injection Moulding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironstrike

Materials
Feb 25, 2020
IN
hello, I am kind of new to this , and I had a doubt.
Currently I am a UG student studying Polymer Engg , so I wanted an opinion on using Solidworks or any other software for mould designing purpose from someone having experience in this field

* Is Solidworks Software really good for mould designing , or would recommend learning some other software ?
* What scope is there in the future for this ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you want to make Plastic designs or make the Mold itself? Then yes SW is great for all that and much more. If you need to run FEA to determine flashing and problems with a design that may occur, then that's where SW plastics becomes a benefit.

I worked for a very large company that solely uses SW for all their plastics designs whether its the mold, the piece parts, they even use it for the automation side of retrieving the parts. Berry Global.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Same here. I have taught many companies making the switch over to Solidworks to do Tool & Die, and Mold making. I have also taught at companies using it for their product design as well. Everything from Shoes to plastic molded consumer products to vehicles to nuclear reactors!

Like any other software, every software has its plus's and minus's (and some quirks) but dollar for dollar... I have been using solidworks since 1995 and there isn't anything I haven't been able to accomplish with it.

And HEY S.B.!!! Long time no see!!

Regards,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back