Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scope of structural steel shop drawing review

Status
Not open for further replies.

71corvette

Structural
Feb 26, 2003
US
Hi All,

When it comes to structural steel shop drawing reviews I've always been told that an engineer's review only needs to be sufficient to confirm that the drawings are in compliance with contract drawings.

Given this, what is typically checked to confirm compliance? Are there checklists or suggested guidelines out there somewhere?

I struggle with the question of "how much is enough" each time I review a set of structural steel shop drawings for the various bridges I've designed. The engineer in my feels compelled to verify as much as the information as possible, but I realize this isn't realistic or expected. However, approving a set of drawings that I've only checked a small portion of the information on still gives me an uneasy feeling so I end up checking more than I probably need to.

It sure would be nice to hear the scope of some other folks review to give me a bit more piece of mind. Where do you draw the line?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In no particular order and not necessarily all-inclusive

Principal dimensions
Plate sizes/stringer sizes
Locations of splices, diaphragms/cross frames
weld sizes
diaphragms/cross frame details
splice details
bearing locations
Painting requirements
Weights including number of bolts(NYSDOT requirement)
Piece marks match the erection plan
specified materials being used
special details shown- e.g. inspection handrail, drip bars for weathering steel

Remember: Fit-up is the fabricator & erector's problem; if there's some discrepancy on your drawings a good detailer will pick it up and ask for clarification.

remember that you are "reviewing" the drawings, not "approving" them.

In my experience, review starts with an overall review of the submittal for completeness. Then to specific items that are critical. And finally spot checks of some of the less critical items. If at any point you feel that the submittal is sloppy, inaccurate, incomplete, etc. you should send it back for revision, further information or resubmittal.

There are checklists, however you would be well served in making your own checklist which should be customized to your business.

For bridge, not building, but some aspects might still apply:

"Shop Detail Drawing Presentation Guidelines", G1.3-2002
AASHTO/NSBA Steel Bridge Collaboration

Unfortunately, these documents are now to be found only on the AASHTO bookstore, and AASHTO's handling of its free publications SUCKS. (Yeah, AASHTO, you heard me.)

If you're interested in reading this document, log in as an e-Affiliate (it just means giving your email address to the American Association of Highway and Transportation Organizations, "The Voice of Transportation" so they can send you email about their print catalog), go to "My Bookstore", find the link somewhere in the right half of the screen for free publications, and then browse through them. At the moment, this particular publication is on the bottom of page 4, which means if you can't find it there, it might have moved to the top of page 5.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Thanks for the input guys, this has all been pretty reassuring.

Hg, I actually have that pub and will have to take a fresh look at it - it's been a while. And by the way, I completely agree with your thoughts on AASHTO's handling of their free pubs - they send way to much 'spam'.

I must have left my brain somewhere on the AASHTO website.

What I meant was G1.1, "Shop Detail Drawing Review/Approval Guidelines", which is relatively easy to find since it's the very last free publication listed.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back