Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCR module Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukin1977

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2009
PY
Can anyone explain me what are:

1) Current It av
2) On state RMS current IT (rms)

in a SCR module

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can find this in a thyristor (SCR) datasheet or application note:

IT(RMS) On-state rms current (180° conduction angle)
IT(AV) Average on-state current (180° conduction angle)

Z

The "T" may point to thermal ability to carry a certain average or rms current. The cooling is an important parameter in this case.

But, it may also - depending on what company's data sheet you are looking at - indicate the thyristor's transient (surge) current capability. So, unless you specify manufacturer or provide a link to the data sheet in question, it is next to impossible to say what the actual meaning of these terms are.

Keep also in mind that the conduction angle plays a role. For ms current pulses, the i[sup]2[/sup]t integral is more useful and should be used to select protection (almost always fast acting fuses in this case).

Is there a link to the actual data sheet? That would help.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Semikron says that this is a Thyristor/Diode module. There are characteristic curve families for both components. The T suffix says that data are valid for the Thyristor (SCR) part and the D suffix is for the Diode part.

The picture showing the module is misleading since it shows two Thyristors and no Diode. The text under the picture says: "The actual product may differ from image shown", which it obviously does, in this case.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back