Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCREAMING WATER BOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRETTJ

Marine/Ocean
Jul 17, 2007
A2
HI ,AM WORKING ON A LARGE PRIVATE YACHT, ALL OF MY HOT WATER BOILERS HAVE STARTED TO MAKE SCREAMING NOISES,CONTINUOSLY AND ALL HOURS.IS THIS A WATER PRESSURE ISSUE.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There not screaming, they are singing!

I assume you are talking about a boiler and not a calorifier

Boiling takes the form of bubbles of steam being generated on the heated surface intially followed by ebulition where steam bubbles form in the water spontaneously ( this causes the water level to rise and is sometimes referred to as swelling. If you boil a pan of water you can see this process occuring. You will also notice that the pan sings just before ebulition occurs and this is due to the steam bubbles being unstable and collapsing. When the strike the metal thy make a pinging noise. This is a very similar mechanism to cavitaion which recks your pump impellors and prop

How to cure
If this is a new thing I would look at the boiler internals to ensure there is no issue with scaling, I would check your water quality.
Without more info its difficult to say. If you want to discuss this you can email me on brian@marineengineering.org.uk

i presume you are refering to domestic water heaters.Reduce your thermostat setting below 100C.

Offshore Engineering&Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back