Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Screw Feeder - Reactions on hopper 1

Dkball

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2024
AU
Hi,
I'm designing a screw feeder's hopper, where I need to work out what type of force arises when the screw is operating.

Assuming there's an axial force developed in the screw shaft. Is there a manual/ guide that helps me work out these reactions:

- From the screw shaft onto the hopper. The screw assembly is supported entirely by the hopper structure.
- From the conveyed material (pull out) acting on the hopper's wall at the outlet?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I were looking into it I would start by looking at maximum feeder motor power and assume that Power = Force x Velocity where the velocity is the screw feed rate. There is plenty of literature on screw feeders. Attached is one source. Probably would get some really good advice from the feeder supplier.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5cbc0a83-c150-47af-a896-9c08d7368ab9&file=CEMC-Screw-Conveyor-Design_Manual-2.20.pdf
Thank DVD! That is a really good and comprehensive design guide.

Dkball said:
Assuming there's an axial force developed in the screw shaft. Is there a manual/ guide that helps me work out these reactions:

- From the screw shaft onto the hopper. The screw assembly is supported entirely by the hopper structure.
- From the conveyed material (pull out) acting on the hopper's wall at the outlet?

I'd say they are some of the least important concerns in a screw feeder design. They also both cancel each other out.

Working out the screw forces, you really want to start by considering the material shear plane area, the vertical bulk material pressure, and the material coefficient of friction.

Here are some key references and manuals that can guide your screw feeder and hopper design:

CEMA’s "Screw Conveyor Engineering Guide" (CEMA 350): This guide provides detailed information on screw conveyor design, power and torque calculation, and the forces exerted on the screw and surrounding structures.
Jenike & Johanson’s "Bin & Hopper Design for Reliable Flow": This resource explains how to design hoppers for reliable material flow, accounting for the forces acting on the walls and outlet.
DIN 15261: A standard for screw conveyor design, widely used in Europe, which provides additional details on calculating axial forces and pressure on hopper walls.
Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers Association (CEMA) standards and calculation tools, which provide methodologies for screw conveyors and feeders.
"Introduction to Particle Technology" by Martin Rhodes: This book includes a section on the behavior of bulk materials in hoppers, including flow dynamics and wall pressures.

R.Efendy

Back