Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Screw Pile Notes 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Does anyone have some 'canned' screw pile foundation notes/specifications for the substitution of these for regular pile foundation notes? I'd like to review any and see how the notes I'm preparing compare.

Thanks, Dik

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our base is generic. I often add a bit about the supplier needing to provide any documentation, including a site specific geotechnical report, required to get a permit in the local jurisdiction. That way any of those local style odd requirements are covered. Slimy, but unfortunately necessary where I am.
Helicals_d5y6mr.png

You pilfer, too... glad to see.

I'm combining the info I have and will include yours in a general screw pile note and will edit it for this project. My project notes are over 400K as a text file... so they're pretty inclusive. I'll post my final, too. Material specs are elsewhere, and the contractor wants to use a corrosion allowance for his proposal, not epoxy or HDG.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I thought this might be a fun exercise for ChatGPT:

Prompt:
"can you give me a comprehensive set of general structural notes for helical piles to include on a set of contract documents?"

ChatGPT's Response:

Certainly! Here is a comprehensive set of general structural notes for helical piles that you can include in a set of contract documents:

1. General Description:
a. Helical piles shall consist of a central shaft with helical plates attached at regular intervals.
b. The piles shall be installed by twisting them into the ground using suitable machinery.
c. The piles shall provide support and stability to the specified structures or foundations.

2. Design Requirements:
a. The design of the helical piles shall be performed by a qualified structural engineer in accordance with applicable codes and standards.
b. The design shall consider the anticipated loads, soil conditions, and required bearing capacity.
c. The design shall specify the diameter, length, and spacing of helical plates based on the soil properties and structural requirements.

3. Installation:
a. The helical piles shall be installed by experienced and qualified personnel familiar with helical pile installation procedures.
b. The installation equipment shall be appropriate for the soil conditions and capable of achieving the required torque and depth.
c. The installation shall be monitored to ensure that the piles are installed to the specified depths and torque values.

4. Materials:
a. The helical piles shall be manufactured from high-quality, corrosion-resistant steel.
b. The steel shall comply with the specified standards and have sufficient strength to withstand the design loads.
c. The helical plates shall be securely welded or mechanically attached to the central shaft.

5. Testing and Inspection:
a. The installed helical piles shall be load tested in accordance with the design requirements to verify their capacity.
b. Testing shall be performed by a qualified testing agency, and the results shall be documented.
c. Regular inspection during installation shall be carried out to ensure compliance with the design and construction requirements.

6. Quality Assurance:
a. The helical piles shall be supplied by a reputable manufacturer with a proven track record in producing high-quality helical piles.
b. The manufacturer shall provide certification of compliance with the specified standards and quality control procedures.
c. Any deviations from the specified requirements shall be immediately reported to the project engineer for approval.

7. Contractor Responsibilities:
a. The contractor shall ensure that all personnel involved in helical pile installation are properly trained and qualified.
b. The contractor shall follow the manufacturer's recommended installation procedures and provide documentation of the installation process.
c. The contractor shall be responsible for any damages or failures resulting from improper installation or non-compliance with the design requirements.

8. Contractor's Submittals:
a. The contractor shall provide documentation of the helical pile installation, including the installation logs, torque values, and depths achieved.
b. The contractor shall submit test reports from the load testing performed on the installed piles.
c. The contractor shall provide any other documentation required by the project engineer or the contract specifications.

Please note that these general structural notes should be reviewed and customized by a qualified structural engineer to ensure they comply with specific project requirements, local building codes, and regulations.

Thanks pham... I'll take a look. That AI stuff can get pretty scarey... and more of it to follow. Wait until they start sending 'scam' stuff. It will only improve with time.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Here's a pretty typical section of notes for me:

HELICAL PILES
1. Helical piles, brackets, and accessories shall be manufactured by Chance, or approved equal. Fabrication, installation,
torque, etc. are to be based on manufacturer's specifications and recommendations.
2. Helical piles shall develop a minimum capacity of 12 tons allowable/ 24 tons ultimate, on-site, unless otherwise noted
on plans. On-site load testing along with a geotechnical investigation is recommended prior to construction.
3. Helical piles to be model SS5 and shall have a 1.5" square steel shaft and a 10" and 12" diameter helix.
4. Nominal spacing between helical plates is three times the diameter of the lower helix.
5. Helical piles to have a maximum torque rating of 5,700 ft-lb.
6. Helical pile extensions may be used as necessary.
7. Distance from finished grade to the upermost helix shall be a minimum of 5'.
8. Helical piles, extensions, and related matierals to be hot-dipper galvanized steel in accordance with ASTM A153.
9. A licensed engineer shall be present during pile installation. Pile log and certification must be completed in accordance
with N.J.A.C. 5:23-2.18(b)1.i(1)
10. Deviations from the drawings during pile installation is at the sole responsibility of contractor and must be reviewed and
approved by on-site engineer.
11. Contractor shall be certified by the specified pile manufacturer for installation of helical piles.
12. Contractor is responsible for exercising caution and coordinating all underground utilities prior to and during
construction. Existing utilities, foundations, and structures must not be compromised or disturbed during new work.

Thanks jersey... I'll take a gander and add anything that I've missed... nearly complete.

-----*****-----

-Dik

good... need to add this one. Otherwise I've got them covered... not Chance product... by Foundation contractor's engineer.

-----*****-----

-Dik

as below:

FOUNDATIONS (HELICAL PILES)

GEOTECHNICAL

A GEOTECHNICAL REPORT HAS NOT BEEN PREPARED FOR THIS SITE. THE CLIENT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING A GEOTECHNICAL REPORT TO CONFIRM DESIGN ASSUMPTIONS. THE CONSULTANT ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR THESE DESIGN ASSUMPTIONS OR FOR ANY FOUNDATION REDESIGN NECESSITATED BY DIFFERING SOIL CONDITIONS.

A GEOTECHNICAL REPORT HAS BEEN PREPARED FOR THIS SITE BY ???, DATED ???. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS NOT APPLICABLE TO THE FOUNDATION DESIGN. THE HELICAL PILE SUPPLIER MUST ENGAGE THE SERVICES OF A GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEER TO DETERMINE THE DESIGN PARAMETERS FOR THE HELICAL PILE DESIGN.

DESIGN

HELICAL PILES ARE TO BE DESIGNED FOR THE LOADS STIPULATED ON THE DRAWINGS. WHERE SLS LOADS ARE NOT SHOWN, PROVIDE SLS EQUIVALENT LOADING EQUAL TO 90% OF THE ULS VALUES STIPULATED.

HELICAL PILE SUPPLIER TO PROVIDE SITE SPECIFIC SHOP DRAWINGS SEALED BY AN ENGINEER REGISTERED IN THE PROVINCE OF THE PROJECT. SHOP DRAWINGS TO INCLUDE PLAN INDICATING ALL PILES AND STIPULATED LOADING.

THE DESIGN OF THE HELICAL PILES SHALL BE PERFORMED BY A QUALIFIED ENGINEER IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE CODES AND STANDARDS.

THE DESIGN SHALL CONSIDER THE ANTICIPATED LOADS, SOIL CONDITIONS AND PROPERTIES, AND REQUIRED BEARING CAPACITY BASED ON THE STRUCTURAL REQUIREMENTS.

HELICAL PILE DESIGN ENGINEER SHALL COMPLY WITH SPECIFIC PROJECT REQUIREMENTS, LOCAL BUILDING CODES, AND REGULATIONS.

THE PILES SHALL PROVIDE SUPPORT AND STABILITY TO THE SPECIFIED STRUCTURES OR FOUNDATIONS.
THE FOUNDATION DESIGN IS BASED ON USING A CONTINUOUS HELICAL PILE ASSEMBLY CONSISTING OF A PILE SHAFT AND MULTIPLE HELICES.

PROVIDE FROST PROTECTION AS REQ’D.

DESIGN VALUES

PILES HAVE BEEN DESIGNED ASSUMING A SKIN FRICTION VALUE OF ???PSF AND AN END BEARING CAPACITY OF ???PSF.
FOR EXTERIOR PILES, THE TOP ???FT BELOW FINISHED GRADE HAS BEEN NEGLECTED.

FOR INTERIOR PILES AND BASEMENT WALL PILES, THE TOP ???FT HAS BEEN NEGLECTED.

SKIN FRICTION HAS BEEN ASSUMED FROM THE ABOVE DATUM TO ONE HELIX DIA ABOVE THE FIRST HELIX.

BEARING AREA HAS BEEN ASSUMED TO BE THE HORIZ PROJECTED AREA OF THE HELIX LESS THE DIA OF THE PILE FOR THE UPPER HELICES AND THE FULL PROJECTED AREA FOR THE LOWEST HELIX.

FABRICATION

FABRICATE HELICAL PILES AS STIPULATED:
PROVIDE ADDED LENGTH FOR INSTALLATION;
PROVIDE 1" MIN THICK CAP PLATE WITH SUITABLE MEANS OF ATTACHMENT FOR INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT;
PILE WALL THICKNESS AND SIZE SHOWN IS MINIMUM AND SHALL BE INCREASED AS NECESSARY TO ACCOMMODATE INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT; AND
PITCH OF HELICES SHALL BE 6" UNLESS APPROVED BY THE CONSULTANT. SPACING OF HELICES SHALL NOT BE LESS THAN 3 TIMES THE HELIX DIA. SPACING OF HELICES SHALL BE A WHOLE NUMBER MULTIPLE OF THE HELIX PITCH
THE HELICES SHALL BE SECURELY WELDED OR MECHANICALLY ATTACHED TO THE CENTRAL SHAFT

DISTANCE FROM FINISHED GRADE TO THE UPPERMOST HELIX SHALL BE 5'-0" MIN

ALL WELDS TO BE 1/4" FILLET WELD MIN ALL AROUND

INSTALLATION

INSTALL PILES AS SHOWN IN THE DOCUMENTS

THE FOUNDATION CONTRACTOR SHALL COORDINATE WITH THE OWNER TO LOCATE EXISTING SERVICES AND OBTAIN PERMITS AS REQUIRED. EXISTING SERVICES IDENTIFIED ON THE FOUNDATION DRAWINGS SHALL BE FIELD LOCATED
TESTING, IF REQUIRED, SHALL BE PERFORMED BY THE FOUNDATION CONTRACTOR AND WITNESSED BY AN APPROVED INDEPENDENT TESTING AGENCY AS SELECTED BY THE SITE ENGINEER

HELICAL PILES SHALL BE PLACED:
NOT MORE THAN 3" OFF CENTRE
NOT MORE THAN 2% OF THEIR LENGTH OUT OF PLUMB

HELICAL PILES SHALL BE CENTRED UNDER COLS, BEAMS AND WALLS UNLESS SHOWN OTHERWISE

HELICAL PILES SHALL BE PLACED NOT CLOSER THAN 3 HELIX DIA FROM ADJACENT PILE U/N

CUT PILE TOP TO SUIT THE WORK AND REMOVE COATING AS REQUIRED

WELD NEW CONNECTION PL TO PILE AT PROPER ELEV.

CONNECTION PL TO BE HDG. GRIND OFF HDG AS REQUIRED FOR WELDING. WELD NEW CONNECTION PL TO CAP PL.
THE HELICAL PILES SHALL BE INSTALLED BY EXPERIENCED AND QUALIFIED PERSONNEL FAMILIAR WITH HELICAL PILE INSTALLATION PROCEDURES

HELICAL PILES SHALL BE INSTALLED USING SUITABLE EQUIPMENT. THE INSTALLATION EQUIPMENT SHALL BE APPROPRIATE FOR THE SOIL CONDITIONS AND CAPABLE OF ACHIEVING THE REQUIRED TORQUE AND DEPTH

THE CONTRACTOR SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR FAILURES RESULTING FROM IMPROPER INSTALLATION OR NON-COMPLIANCE WITH THE DESIGN REQUIREMENTS

CONSTRUCTION REVIEW

CONSTRUCTION REVIEW BY THE HELICAL PILE DESIGNER DURING INSTALLATION SHALL BE CARRIED OUT TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH THE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

ANY DEVIATIONS FROM THE SPECIFIED REQUIREMENTS SHALL BE IMMEDIATELY REPORTED TO THE EOR

PROVIDE AN INSTALLATION REPORT INDICATING INSTALLATION TORQUE, DEPTH AND CAPACITY OF INSTALLED PILE

COATING

A COATING SYSTEM HAS NOT BEEN PROVIDED. LIFE EXPECTANCY IS ACHIEVED BY PROVIDING ADDITIONAL MATERIAL FOR CORROSION ALLOWANCE. CORROSION POTENTIAL HAS NOT BEEN DETERMINED. HELICAL PILE DESIGN ENGINEER TO PROVIDE FOR A DESIGN LIFE EXPECTANCY OF 50 YEARS

PROVIDE A ZINC RICH EPOXY PRIMER FOR THE TOP 10 FT OF ALL PILES AND THE PILE HEAD

PROVIDE A ZINC RICH EPOXY PRIMER TOUCH-UP FOR ALL STEEL NOT ENCASED IN CONCRETE

CLEAN AND TOUCH UP WELD WITH ZINC RICH EPOXY PRIMER.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I think one of the most important things when it comes to piles is specifying the allowable/ design & ultimate loads specifically. That goes for timber or helical.

I've seen architects write "total load" or other weird naming conventions. I've seen them write 40 ton piles for a house even though that is ultimate capacity and not the allowable capacity.

Around here nearly everything is on piles and the notes vary greatly from designer to designer.

Whenever I'm writing notes for a more specific product, I always go to that manufacturer's page (in my case Chance), and use as many of their notes or specs as possible.

Yup... thanks...

HELICAL PILES ARE TO BE DESIGNED FOR THE LOADS STIPULATED ON THE DRAWINGS. WHERE SLS LOADS ARE NOT SHOWN, PROVIDE SLS EQUIVALENT LOADING EQUAL TO 90% OF THE ULS VALUES STIPULATED.

That's service and ultimate... In this case, the contractor is providing the helical pile design... With a project in Saskatchewan about a decade back, I designed the piles based on geotekkie guidance for supporting six 400kip transformers... and they are still standing. First time I ever designed them. I do lots of things 'first time'.

A minor 'screwup'... I cut the bottom of the screwpile on an angle rather than welded a plate with a 'spike'. I allowed/caused them to 'wander'. It was OK for the transformer pad, but the contractor used them for gradebeams, too, and some of them moved a foot. They were designed for an unsupported length of about 8' or 10' in case they ever had to excavate the sorbweb transformer containment.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back