Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Screw Pilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTChE

Chemical
Jul 29, 2010
US
I am the on-site engineer for a process plant project. The soils on the site vary wildly from 500 psf to 4000 psf depending on location. Our contractor building the facility will use screw pilings for supports for pipe racks and cable trays. The screws will be put in soil that is mildly erodable (Kw 0.28 to Kw 0.37) and mildly corrosive (pH 8.3 to 8.7). We have told the prospective screw piling vendors to make recommendations for dealing with the corrosion issue and one suggested galvanized pilings. Would this be a good option?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had a piling contractor design the screw piles to take into account corrosion of the cross section. They considered 2.0 mm of the pile wall thickness to be sacrificial and did not include this 'sacrificial steel' in their calculations.

It can be done, I just noticed when reading through specifications for screw piles:

Once manufactured screwpiles are to be visually inspected and approved prior to hot dip galvanising if required.

CORROSION PROTECTION TO SCREWPILES
1. Steel screwpiles to be designed in accordance with [clause from local code] with an allowance for sectional loss based on the site corrosion classification and design life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back